Sunday, December 23, 2012

Week 34

Dear Family,
Merry Christmas! I wish I could talk to you ALL this Christmas! :D
But I am excited to hopefully skype at least a couple of you. I hope
that each of you have a wonderful Christmas and a happy New Year.
Caroling - Caroling is different here. Lately, we've been hearing a
lot of kids caroling. Only kids. They go caroling more like
trick-or-treating, hoping for money in return. It's sad because
sometimes if the people don't want to give anything, they yell at the
kids to go away. :( When they came to our house, we gave them
crackers because we're not allowed to give them money. They were
super cute though, they made their own little shakers and instruments
out of smashed bottle lids and other things that they found. They
were singing mostly songs I didn't know. At first, I didn't realize
they were caroling until I heard Jingle Bells, haha.
Gas Stations - there are always workers standing outside. Usually
young men in uniforms, waiting to fell up the tricyle or whatever.
They always wave when I pass by. There are also guards, policemen, at
the entrance of almost every store. They are always super nice and
smile and wave at me too. They don't normally stop anyone, unless
they want to look real quick inside your bag. Restaurants and all
stores have really good service. One example, at Jollibee, which I
thought was just a normal burger restaurant, where you put your own
tray and garbage away, right? I tried, and everyone looked at me like
I was crazy, haha. At other grocery stores, there are usually workers
following us closely just in case we need anything. I don't know if
that's normal for everyone, or just because I'm a foreigner, but the
service everywhere is always super good!
Trash - On Friday we did CSP at our apartment, in our front yard. The
Elders came to help. We pulled out tons of weeds and swept up the
leaves, etc. And put everything in a huge pile and burned it all. A
big bonfire. That's how we get rid of all our trash. Once it fills
up in the house, we just open the door and throw it into a pile in the
backyard and burn it later... I think maybe that's illegal in America?
But that's how we do it here. In Roxas, I think there was a garbage
man who came. I'm not sure though. The apartment took care of it.
Here, we have a house.
I saw a Christmas Tricycle Parade the other day. People had decorated
their tricycles with Christmas lights and other things and at night,
they were all in a long line, driving through town. It was pretty
cool. I wish I could have taken a picture of it. We've also seen a
lot of funerals. People walk behind the car holding the deceased
person - instead of driving in a line, like in America. They don't
have cars, so they just all walk to the cemetary together.
We've had a few funny moments. The other week, Sister Patricio
slipped and fell down a muddy hill. (I think that's just their luck
being my companion, haha) We had to go home so she could change.
Yesterday as we were climbing down the same hill in the dark with only
the light of our phone to guide us, Sister saw a frog and got scared.
She jumped behind me and I led the way, with her clinging to my arm
the whole way. It was super funny.
We had a Branch Chrismas Party the other day and it was a success!
Luther, an investigator that we had only taught once before came and
the members were really good at fellowshipping him. He came to church
the next day too and plans to come again next week and bring his two
kids. I'm excited for him.
I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and remember Jesus Christ
and our Heavenly Father and the wonderful gifts that they have given
to us. I love you all and miss you. Take Care always,
Love,
Heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment