Monday, December 3, 2012

Week 31


Jumping at the beach with Sister Schocker!
Dear Family,
How was your week? I had a super good week, which involved more traveling.  I played soccer on Monday, which was the first time I had played any sports since the MTC.  I played hard and ended up sore all week long... :(  but I loved it all the same, even though soccer isn't my favorite sport.

On Wednesday, we traveled to Lapaz for our
Christmas Conference. We had to wake up at 3am! The car ride was actually really fun.  The road was the windiest road I have ever been on, but one of the elders brought their guitar, so we were able to
play and sing songs the whole way there.  It felt like home :D
The Conference was really good too.  It was really fun to see all the
other missionaries and to watch their skits.  We did a skit too, but
of course all I did was play the piano... that's what I get for having
Baptism - I feel huge next to them!!!
that talent... joke lang, I love having that talent.  I also had a mini solo singing at the end, so I got to use that talent as well. At the end of the conference, we also had a gift exchange.  It's
Christmas already!! :D  They also fed us lunch, but I think we must have eaten something bad because when we got home that night, all 4 of us sisters were sick. It didn't last long though.  I've been so tired ever since coming here to Antique.  I've been sleeping every spare minute and it's not helping.  It might have something to do with our dogs and chickens and roosters and neighbors who are noisy all night long.  I sleep right by the window which we can't close.  It's okay though, somehow I'm still making it through every day and enjoying
Conference - The sister standing next to me is Sister Patricio, my new
companion!
them. :D
The language Karay-a is coming.  I still have a hard time understanding sometimes, but it's pretty close to Ilonggo. The switch keeps the mission interesting!  Speaking of which, the mission is the best thing ever.  Of course every once in a while I have the longing to go home, but it's only a small part of me.  Yes the mission is hard, I miss you all and the comforts of life, but I'm not here for myself.  If I was, I would have had my fun and gone back home by now.  I am here for a greater purpose, which outweighs any inconvenience or
selfish thought.  There's no way I'm going home early.  Besides I love
it here.  I can't make up my mind if it's going by fast or slow.  At
the end though, I know it will be too soon.

Yesterday I ate a snail... yuck!  I sucked out the juice and I
actually thought it tasted good, and then I wondered what it was and
took a closer look.  It was at the deaf family's house.  I looked at
it a little closer and it looked kind of like a snail!  I
fingerspelled it to one of them, asking if that's what it was and they
nodded!! I'm grateful I know how to fingerspell! After that, I didn't
eat any more, haha.  They also fed me this bamboo soup stuff.  That
was good too! They said it came from the bamboo from their house!
Interesting, huh?  Also at that house, they were really admiring my
arm hair.  People here don't really have arm hair and I have quite a
bit... they were all pulling at it and feeling it and pretending to
sleep on it, haha.  I was laughing so hard, but also fet a little bit
uncomfortable, haha

I was studying this week about virtue.  Virtue originates in our
innermost thoughts and desires.  It is a pattern of thought and
behavior based on high moral standards.  A good way to judge where we
are at in our level of virtue is to ask ourselves "What do I think and
do when I believe that no one is watching?"  If you ever have
unrighteous thoughts in your mind, quickly put them out of your mind
by focusing on righteous, uplifting thoughts.  Obey the commandments
and counsel of church leaders and if you make a mistake, repent
quickly and pray to God for strength to overcome temptations.  I think
by keeping our eyes single to the glory of God, and trying to improve
ourselves each day, we will be able to continually focus on righteous
things.  When I am tempted, I try to remember my goal to return to
live with my father in heaven again and remember that even if no one
else knows, He does.  We will both know the choices that I make and I
would hate to disappoint Him.  I want to always please God and remain
worthy of His trust.
I hope you all have a wonderful week and that you always remember who
you are, children of God.  I love you all!
Halong,
Heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment