Monday, July 2, 2012

Week 9

Maayong aga!
Well, this week has been so full of stuff, I have no idea even where
to start.  My last few days at the MTC... my flight... my first few
days... and these last few days.... I feel like I have hardly any time
to write as well.. so, sorry.  And... no pictures today still.  I'm so
sorry!  I will try one of these days.  The flight was long, but not as
long as I expected it to seem.  I am still pretty tired all the time,
but I don't know if that's because of the time change or how busy I
have been.  Probably both.  I love my President and Sister Pagaduan.
They are so great and friendly and willing to help with whatever we
might need.  After a day of orientation and going on splits with
missionaries in Iloilo, I was assigned to the Roxas 1st Ward.  It was
a several hour bus ride.  The Panay island is a lot bigger than I
thought.  My new companion/ trainer's name is Sister Swarna and she is
great.  She is from India and she is really good at English and
Hiligaynon.  She is also very patient with me as I struggle to
participate in the lessons.  I want to participate, but when I have no
idea what they are talking about and then she turns to me and asks if
I have anything to share, all I can do is share my testimony in
Tagalog.  These people understand almost more English than Tagalog.
In church yesterday, we sang hymns, read scriptures, and read from the
lesson books all in English.  I never know who I can speak English to
and who doesn't know any. It seems funny to be using Tagalog when
these people don't use it at all. I am tempted to just use English,
but we are encouraged not to.  So... hopefully I will learn this
dialect quickly.
It is soooo beautiful!  Today is my P Day and this morning we woke up
extra early to go fishing at the beach.  It was raining though, so we
just walked around and walked along the edge of the water.  The water
is so nice and warm! I wanted to go swimming so bad!!! I've missed the
beach.  There are also so many trees around here.  Everything is
green.  It is so beautiful!  I will have to take some pictures one of
these days, but according to my companion, we can only take pictures
on P Days... and it was raining today.  It rains here all the time.
So... I just noticed, I haven't put on sunscreen at all yet.  hmmm...
So... I've been trying to get used to people staring at me and my
companion.  Since we are both foreigners and we look completely
different, it's been fun.  Everyone stares!!! And little kids love to
shake my hand.  I love it here so much.  It is pretty hot and humid,
but I honestly like it.  And the cool showers from the bucket... not
as bad as I thought they would be.  The water isn't freezing... it's
more room temperature and it's so hot in there that it feels nice.  I
love almost everything about this place.  I think I'm really going to
miss it when I come home.  I love the people, the jeepnies, the
tricycles, the houses, everything!  The houses are basically just made
of bamboo usually, at least where I am, with dirt floors.  My very
first lesson in Iloilo was done at night in a house that had no light,
so we lit a couple candles and gave our lesson with only that.  We
usually teach sitting on the ground and we are fed at every house.  It
is very eye-opening to see all this. They live completely different
than we grew up with.  I haven't seen any giant spiders yet, but I
have seen a huge gecko thing and tons of lizards that climb on the
insides of all the houses.  There are dogs everywhere!  I'm not
allowed to touch them though.  I feel like I'm rambling... but there
is just way too much to write about than I can write in 20 minutes.
The missionary training has changed a lot in the last few years. It's
hard to remember everything that we are supposed to be remembering and
focusing on.  There is so much paperwork and planning and it all fits
together perfectly.  I will get used to it soon, but right now there
are just so many things I need to remember every day.  Relying on the
spirit is so so so so critical to do, but it's also hard to get used
to.  Everything we do has to be by the spirit.  If we don't have the
spirit with us, we can't teach.  Only through the spirit can they
learn.  So, also... our mission is focusing primarily on less-actives.
 There are so many less-actives, it's ridiculous.  I don't remember
the exact percentage.  We only have a couple actual investigators.
One of them is a little boy named Anderson.  We feel he is ready to be
baptized, but he needs to attend church 4 times in a row before he can
be, so his baptismal date keeps being postponed.  It's really
difficult for some people to attend church because they can't afford
the transportation.  The people here are really poor.  I have full
confidence that Anderson will be able to do it though.  He is a really
good kid... although he has a really hard time paying attention in our
lessons, haha.
The church is true!  My purpose here is beginning to sink in as I've
been getting into the work.  I really need to remember my purpose
every day so that I can stay focused, because I've noticed that if I
ever begin thinking about just myself, I lose myself.  I am so
grateful for this calling in my life.  It is such a blessing in my
life already.  I know that as I continue to diligently study and serve
the people and do all the things that I know I should and as I trust
in the Lord with all my heart, and open my mouth, I will be able to
fulfill my purpose.  The Lord is there for each and every one of us as
we turn to Him.  I know that that is true. He is so loving.  I am so
grateful for you all.  For your love and support and prayers in my
behalf and for your examples to me.  I have a feeling that the rest of
my mission is going to pass way too quickly!
Love you all!
Heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment