Sunday, July 8, 2012

Week 10

Hello my wonderful family... I've attached just a few pictures from
the MTC, and the only one I have of my new companion.  I can't send
many because it takes a really long time for them to load.  Maybe next
time I will send some of the Philippines.  I know you are probably
just dying to see them :)

This week has been busy busy busy of course :)  We attended two
Necrological Services for members who died recently.  They were both
able to be sealed to their families in the temple before they passed
away which was a huge comfort to those they left behind.  Their
cemeteries are a lot different than I've seen before.  Instead of
burying the coffin in the ground, they have little "boxes" that they
put the coffins in and stack one on top of the other.  It was
interesting, but a neat experience.

At church, I play the piano.  I enjoy playing the piano and I am so
grateful to know how to so that I can help them.  When there is no
piano available, they always have me lead the music and here, the one
who leads the music does a short solo as the introduction.  I'm trying
to imagine how I would have reacted to that a few years ago.  I'm so
glad I'm confident enough in my singing to be able to do that now
without becoming to self conscious. :)  This last Sunday there was an
American man who came and spoke in Sacrament Meeting and I didn't
understand everything he was saying because it was in perfect
Hiligaynon, but he was here visiting the place where he used to serve.
 He knew a lot of the people and the part of his talk that I
understood was that even though we all look different, we are all
children of God, here for the same purpose and I know that to be true.
Even my companion and I have different cultures and I've found that to
be more of a blessing than anything else.  Even when you are among
people who look like you and who were raised the same way as you, you
can learn things from them and understand that you are all children of
our loving Heavenly Father.  We were all raised and taught by Him as
spirit children before we came to this earth.  And each of us retained
different qualities that we learned while in the pre-existence that we
can use to bless the lives of others and help build the kingdom of
God.  This is something that I've been pondering a lot about lately,
as well as my relationship with our loving Heavenly Father.

On Wednesday, my companion Sister Swarna and Sister White's companion,
Sister Ilaga, left for Iloilo for a training meeting.  They were there
until Friday evening, leaving Sister White (my previous companion) and
I alone to unleash chaos on the town :)  hehehe... it was an
interesting few days.  I learned much though.  I'm very grateful that
my companion is back now... she is my guide!!!

I'm still struggling to learn Hiligaynon.  As I've been beginning to
replace the Tagalog words I know with the Hiligaynon words, I've
completely forgotten all my Tagalog... and I feel like I can't
communicate hardly at all anymore... but I know that over time it will
come.  I just need to trust in God and not become discouraged.  I have
complete confidence that the Lord will bless me to learn this language
as I study and just continue to do my best.  This work is fun.  It's
so, so easy to love the people because they are so willing to love me
despite my weaknesses.  They are such good examples to me and I learn
from every one of them.  

I love you all! Have a wonderful weekend!
Halong kamo!
Heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment