Monday, September 23, 2013

Week 73

Good morning everyone!
This week was SO good!  It's been so fun, just applying all the things that I've learned to this new area.  We are really starting basically from scratch.  There are a lot of members living in our area which we have to go find, but as far as investigators, we have none.  

It's different having so many missionaries in one ward. We meet at the same time as ward 2 which has 4 sister missionaries, so there are 10 of us sister missionaries in one building at the same time. I really feel like I blend in and it's a little harder to get to know all the members.  At least... it's harder for them to remember me... So the other Sisters in our ward are actually assigned in Jaro, really close to the church which we go to.  They were assigned there before and we became the bonus missionaries.  We live pretty far from the church, which makes it very difficult for members and investigators to get to church.  We are hoping that pretty soon we will be able to help this area progress enough that we could get a branch out here in Pavia.  It would help a lot of people. I'm trying to encourage the same thing which we did in Roxas, my first area so long ago. We opened a temporary group there in Panay for the same reason and over time the less actives came back and now there are 60+ people going to church there every Sunday in that little tent thing at a house there. If we did the same thing here, we might have similar results. :D  In the meantime, we have to travel quite often in Jeepneys and in Tricycles and in Trisikads.. we get every form of transportation in this area.  It's even farther to go to District Meetings every week.  It's a good thing I like traveling. :D
This week was pretty fun, we did a whole lot of door to door tracting... I have to say that Sister Karaponga and I are getting pretty good at it. :D  It is actually super fun!  Especially trying to see if we can get the rich people to open their gates and let us in. :D  We have several new investigators who are super rich.  Actually, our new investigator Brother Nestor has the biggest house I've ever been in here in the Philippines... and I'm pretty sure it's even bigger than any house I've been in in the States.  He's super nice.  We rang their doorbell and talked to his wife and I'm pretty sure she wanted to say no, but we worked our magic and just were as friendly as we possibly could and she agreed that we could come back another time when she wasn't busy... that sounded a lot better than nothing... :D  Then later, while we were waiting for Sister Aquino to come work with us, someone informed us that the man at that house wanted us to go back and he was all ready to let us in and he has TONS of questions.  He's not ready to accept anything we say... but at least he let us in!  And we have a return appointment.  He reminds me a lot of Brother Romeo from Oton, hehe... and he was baptized. :D
 
Another family we met we are also super excited to go back to and teach.  He's an African American from Virginia. His wife is Filipina and they have 4 kids ages 11-17 or something like that. We haven't taught them yet but they were super excited to see us and we are scheduled to go back to them this next Saturday. I wish it could be sooner, but that's their availability. The Dad and kids only speak English, so I'm going to have some fun trying to teach the lessons in English for the first time, hehe. I'm excited though. :D It seems like most all our investigators right now are rich. It's great! :D 
We found another man who is super nice.  He's not rich, but his family is SO nice. And we taught them all about the Restoration and they already believe.  The poor are so much more prepared to accept what we share.  They can't afford to come to church... but they are very humble and loving and I know they will find a way once we help them build their faith a little bit more.  We love teaching every type of person.  Right now my goal is to just talk to as many people as I possibly can and make a difference in the lives of every person I meet, although we really are trying to focus on the rich right now.  Everyone needs the gospel!  And I'm running out of time to tell everyone in my area about this wonderful plan of happiness! hehe. :D
So... I NEVER in a thousand years... would have thought that I would actually enjoy going door to door, talking to strangers.  But I have actually been having fun! And at the beginning of my mission I remember being terrified of people asking me questions or something.. afraid I wouldn't know the answer or be able to understand them because of the language barrier... but now I absolutely love it!  I welcome any question... and when I don't know the answer, that gives me something to research in my personal study the next day.  I love people.  I really do a whole lot.  We are all brothers and sisters on this earth and we can gain something from everyone that we meet.  I am so grateful for this experience that I am having here.  I continue to learn new things daily.  I've never felt so happy. :D  Even though I probably won't be getting any more baptisms (because investigators need to go to church several times before they can be baptized and I only have a few sundays left...)... I know that I am planting dozens of seeds. :D
Oh and about the storm... I heard about it... and we have had some super strong rain in the past week... but I don't know if that's the storm you all heard about, haha.  It didn't really affect our work... I just got a little wet... :D  And I once again don't have an umbrella, haha.  I gave it to a woman and her baby... theirs broke, haha. But it's okay, my companion and I can share for a few weeks :D

Love you all! Continue to Lift where you Stand! :D
Sister McClellan

No comments:

Post a Comment