Monday, July 22, 2013

Week 64

Good Afternoon! (Is this a normal greeting? I can't remember...)

This week was great! Tuesday we had the BEST Zone Meeting I can ever remember... probably because Sister Butler and I were the ones teaching... we were definitely inspired. We had been trying to think of ideas for a week beforehand but ideas weren't really coming until the day before.  We fasted and prayed and the revelation started to come.  We decided to teach about faith to move members in seeking the upper class.  We created an awesome analogy about an airplane emergency and had all the missionaries act it out... we prepared a long room, with chairs aligned and numbered like in a real airplane and taped face masks to the bottom of every chair.  It was an awesome analogy... if I do say so myself.  We had emergency exit personnel who had additional assignments taped to the bottom of their chair. President and Sister Auino were the pilot and co-pilot.  We gave them instructions and passed out peanuts and began out flight.  A few seconds into the flight there was an emergency... the airplane started to lose pressure and all the passengers needed to put on their oxygen masks and they only had 30 seconds to do so. Each missionary however had a color on their chair that determined whether they were an adult or child.  The children could not put on their own masks... and the adults had to first put on their own before they could help anyone else.  The trick was... that some of the masks were either missing or broken... it was up to the emergency exit personnel to follow their instructions in helping their fellow passengers to either retrieve new masks from us, the flight attendants, or to help them fix their masks.  It was awesome.  3 people died in that emergency... which was perfect.  No matter what the conclusion was, it would have made for a great discussion.

So, I guess I'll explain what each thing means... The flight attendants (me and sister butler) were representing all the missionaries.  We are trained and know what everyone needs in order to be saved... and are equipped with the tools in order to do so.  The Emergency Exit Personnel represent the members... they know the people around them and what they need and are able to help them get what they need.  They were given special instructions in which they could work through us to help the others.  And they are SO important!  The adults represent the upper class... who have the ability to help others once they have been saved themselves... and the children represent the lower class... who are just as important as everyone else and also need to be saved... but can't really do as much in building the kingdom of God.  In our analogy... there were a whole lot more children than adults, which is accurate for here in our areas.  We have been encouraged by our amazing leaders in the church to seek the middle and upper class, people who can really help build the kingdom of God... and once the church is strong... everyone else will much easier be able to live the gospel.  As it is... when all the members don't have enough money to get to church, they can't really hold a calling, and the church doesn't get any stronger.  (D&C 58:9-11)

Anyways, it was an awesome training and we had an amazing discussion afterwards where the missionaries came up with even more amazing insights about things that happened in the activity and about things that they have been seeing and experiences they have been having in their individual areas.  Participation in meetings is amazing and really brings the spirit.  I am so grateful for God's help in this and in our work every day.  I really had a good time!  

I had a really cool experience yesterday at church.  We miraculously had 7 investigators at church!  We were hoping for about 15.... but it's okay... 5 of those were potential priesthood holders and they doubled the elders quorum class, haha.  Anyways, in our gospel essentials class, the topic came up about whether God has a body of flesh and bone or if he is just a spirit.  It became quite the debate and the branch president got involved and then President Aquino even came in and shared.  Our investigator Romeo, who will be getting baptized this Saturday was still confused about this issue and he wasn't sure what to believe... he was sharing all these scriptures from the bible that proves God is just a spirit... he doesn't know yet about JS Translations, haha.  I know though, that you can't prove anything with the bible... there are errors in the bible! You need an additional witness. The situation was starting to get kind of intense, and I could just feel something welling up inside me... I knew I needed to say something.  I raised my hand and waited to be called on... I don't know why, but my heart was pounding so hard and I felt really hot and shaky... when I was finally called on, I just shared my simple testimony of the restoration of the gospel and the church and about prayer in order to know the truth for yourself.  I never felt the spirit so strongly.  The classroom got quiet again after that and soon ended. I will never forget that experience... My testimony of the restoration of the gospel increased a ton with that experience.  Even though I've been testifying and teaching about it for months, this time it was just a little different.  It felt good. :D

There are a lot more things that happened this week... we went on exchanges which was super fun, lots of great new investigators, getting soaked again from rain... opportunities to serve and more.  I love missionary work SO much!  I will never ever ever regret this chance that I had to come here to the Philippines and serve these people and God for 18 months.  It is the best thing ever and I am learning SO much!  I will never be the same again.

I love you all.  Take care always.  Choose the Right.

Love,
Sister McClellan 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment